Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Why I want to make Aliyah

Someone asked me yesterday why I wanted to make Aliyah, and after this stupid question said that America is a much better for the Jews then Israel will ever be.
I responded like this: America is a footnote in Jewish history, and no matter what happens here, it always will be. Israel, as we see, is front page news everyday, and all of the major Jewish events of the last half-century have either happened in the country, or they were about the country. I told him that I want to be a part of Jewish history, not someone quietly observing from the background.
He responded to me by pointing out how difficult it would be to live in the land of Israel. First I would have to learn a new language, then all of the bureaucracy of the government, how difficult it is to get a job, how we are under constant bombardment by Arabs, how the whole world hates us, etc.
I responded by telling him about the book of Joshua. How, right at the beginning of the sefer, it says that immediately following the Jews entry into the land of Israel, all of the men had a Brit Milah. Why? Because they had never been given one while they were in the desert, the reason being that it was too dangerous for a new born baby to be given a Brit while traveling.
Notice the world ‘all,’ this means every single man who was a part of the B’nai Yisrael when they entered the land of Israel, had not been born when the Jews left Egypt.
What’s the significance of this? That none of the Jewish men that had left Egypt merited to set foot in the land of Israel, only their children were able to.
I told this guy that’s exactly what I want to do. I want my children to be able to live their lives in Israel without having to go through any of the ‘absorption’ process, not having to learn a new language, a new culture etc. They would already have been born in the environment so there would be nothing to get used to!
On the note of how much the world hates us (and all of the other factors he mentioned) I say ‘Bring it On!’ I’m living in MY HOMELAND and if the rest of the world has a problem with that, then they can stuff it. I’m not living in their country anymore, which means they can’t tell me what to do anymore! I answer to NO ONE, except the G-d of Israel, and the only way to fully be able to serve G-d is in Eretz HaKodesh, and if this guy has a problem with wanting to live his life to the fullest spiritual potential then he had better rethink his priorities!

On another note, I get ticked when I hear people talking about mitzvot that can only be done is Eretz Yisrael, and saying ‘when Mashiach comes, and all of the Jews are living is Israel.’
For Mitzvot that require the Beit Hamikdash, I understand, but for other things (birchas kohanim and terumah, for example) I just don’t get it and I mentioned this to someone. The response I got was typical of any American Jew, “Well, when Mashiach comes, all of the Jews will be living in the land of Israel anyways, so we don’t have to worry about that until them.”
I’ve been searching for one place where it says that after Mashiach comes the Jews should make Aliyah.

I have yet to find one.

The only things that I find are a little more immediate, pesukim that say that it is a mitzvah to settle the land. Period.
There is no ‘after Mashiach comes’ following that statement. Just ‘Settle the land.’

Period.

This is the first time in the last 2000 years that any Jew, anywhere in the world, can get a free, one-way ticket home.

What I want to know is why they aren’t?

Actually I know the answer to that question, it’s very simple. Jews of America of comfortable. Why would they want to give up their big house, with a big backyard, 2 cars, nice job, to come to a war torn country like Israel?
I look to put it like this. Israel is Eretz Hakedosha, it’s a holy land. Where America is a country where the physical is worshipped, external beauty.
There are 2 kinds of Jews, the one that wants to live the spiritual life, and the one that lives the physical life.
Now obviously Israeli Jews like their physicality, and there’s no problem with them going to America or Europe for a vacation, but as a Jew do we want to live a spiritual life, with a little bit of physicality, or do we want to live a physical life with a little bit of spirituality?


No comments: