Monday, October 1, 2007

Succot in America. Whoop. Dee. Do.

I'm in a really bad mood. Here I am, in the middle of Chol Hamoed, and what am I doing? Sitting and studying for 3 tests that I have tomorrow.
Now if this were any other time, I wouldn't have problem with this. I'd take it in stride and study for them, then take them, because that's what I'm supposed to be doing. I'm not supposed to be spending my entire holiday, cramped up in my room staring at a textbook.
America is supposed to be the land of opportunity, and it is in a sense, but only a narrow, pre-selected, number of opportunities.
Some people can do it, but that might because they don't care. They don't care that they have to spend Chol Hamoed studying, "It's not really a holiday is it?"
To me Chol Hamoed is the time to, you know, actually have fun? It's the time when the entire Jewish people have left their houses in order connect with the rest of Am Yisrael. We spend our entire lives, isolated as much as possible, because that's what we're told is the best way to be productive.
I have a new way to be productive. Get to know the people around you, do something that matters. Yes you need to make a living, but you don't have to have your living define you. Here in America a question that comes up in a lot of conversations, "What do you do?"
This can mean two things, "How do you spend your time?" and "how are you contributing to society?"
In understanding this very common variable of conversation, what is the person posing the question actually asking. "How can you help me?" and "How do you, in some round about way, contribute to an easier way for me to live?"
Maybe I'm being harsh, maybe I'm not. Maybe someone asking this question is just asking it without really thinking about what it means, and just using it as a conversation starter. But the point is Succot (along with pretty much all other Jewish holiday) is about taking down the walls that exist between Jews, allowing us all to connect from the core.
So as I sit here studying my Marketing textbook, I'm thinking about next year, when Succot will actually mean something besides just an obstacle that I have to get around in order to study for school.

Chag Sameach

No comments: