Tuesday, February 5, 2008

An Update...and a Death

Whew! It's been a while since I last posted. I figured that when I was on vacation I would have more time to write, and I found that I had less free time then when I was in school! But now that the semester's started I can start to have more free time.

I guess I'll just give you an update on everything that's happened in the last month before I get onto today's topic.

At the beginning of January I was visiting family in New Mexico. I love it out there, it really gives you a feeling of true serenity, being out in the desert and hearing absolutely nothing. Especially out on my uncle's ranch. My uncle is a very strange fellow, he had one goal in life, and that was to get as far away from humanity as possible. So he and his wife moved out to this beautiful 800 acre piece of land just outside of TorC.

I'll admit the lifestyle of living out of the city away from the "noise" of humanity is appealing, but I, as a Jew, can't go into hiding like that. I need to make a difference, one of the reasons I'm moving to Israel, I can get some of the serenity (at least the nature side of it) but still be making an intense statement about to future of the Jewish people.

Oh and speaking of Israel, I sent my Nefesh B' Nefesh application in last week. Hopefully everything will go smoothly and I'll get my grant and hove no problems with my Aliyah.

Now to today's story. As most of the people reading this know, this past Sunday was Super Sunday in America. A day of watching football for the guys and watching commercials for the women. It is the most expensive air time of the entire year and the cost of advertising is appoximetly 2.7 million dollars per minute.

In other words this is the ultimate in gratifying our physical desires. The guys want to watch other large men, reminiscent to the Coliseum in ancient Rome, basically try to kill the opposing players, with the excuse of a suicidal maniac running with a ball. Whereas the women want to watch the ads, ads that are meant to sell things to satisfy our physical wants. Last I checked you don't see many Super Bowl ads for things like bread, milk and toilet paper.

But Yishai Fleisher I think summed it up the best, because the next day there was a Jew killed in Dimona, a city near Be'er Sheva. A suicide bomber went into a crowded area (and it has to be a crowded area) and blew itself up.

Now just to give you an idea how sick these people are after a the medical teams had come and a crowd had gathered around, it was discovered that there had been a second terrorist who had been walking around waiting for a crowd to build up so it could set off its bomb in an even larger crowd of people.

Thank G-d it was discovered and killed, but the point, as Yishai put it, how many Jews could tell you about this attack and how many Jews could give you a play by play blow of the football game, that now really doesn't matter anymore (if it ever did).

Something to think about.

No comments: