Friday, April 6, 2007

How Comfortable is America?

I've come to a realization. I want to live in Israel, but I still want to be able to come back to America. The only problem is that (only a small one) I am a Jew. I was reading an article on Aish.com by someone who had made Aliyah a few years ago, and they were describing their first year in Israel, and the thing that really sticks in my mind was when he was describing Pesach. Long ago were the days now when he and his family had to sit in the zoo and eat their funny matzah sandwichs, while the non Jewish crowd stood in line at McDonald's, long ago were the days when he had to hear his boss say, "Let me get this straight, you're taking off of work to go sit in a hut in the backyard for a week?!"
I'll admit it this Yom Tov has been hard, particularly the first day of Chol Hamoed when I had school and work. It was shocking how, here I am, in the middle a holiday with all of these restrictions, and these people around me, are completely oblivious as to what I'm going through.

On a slightly funny (and sad) note, in my office we get a fax everyday from local resteraunts posting the daily specials and menus. Well today there was a little notice under the special of the day (some shrimp dish) that said "We have Matzah and Matzoh Ball soup in honor of Passover."
It's one thing for Jews to over commercialize their holidays, but with Non-Jews it gets kind of ridiculous.
I love America, I don't think Jews should live here but I do love America. But does the fact that I love America have anything to do with the fact that Jews live here? If, for instance, I become a businessman, and have to make occasional or frequent trips here, what would my stay be like if there was no kosher food? If I didn't know where I could daven, or get some seasonal item for an upcoming holiday? (BTW once I move I don't plan on ever coming back to America for even one of the holidays)
Maybe for me to be able to fully enjoy America it has to have Jews in it.
Maybe I'm just rambling random thoughts, but over the Chag 2 shuls in North America were vandalized with anti-Semitic graffiti. I'm afraid of the future of this country and the reason I want to occasionally come back to America is for some physical comfort. But at the expense of bodily harm it for sure won't be worth it. Besides, the more North American Jews that make Aliyah, the more Israel will have to conform the American values (like customer service) and then I hopefully won't ever want to leave!

Note: one of those shuls, the one in Montreal. with the 'graffiti' actually was a bomb. Thank G-d no one was hurt, but to make a long story short. . .


No comments: