Tuesday, June 12, 2007

A broken windshield and a lesson in Bitachon

Interesting experience last night. While getting into my car last night to go to and Aliyah meeting, I was met in my car by a very unwelcome guest.

A mosquito

Deciding that I was not going to let this mosquito live I proceeded in many attempts to turn it a 'visual obstruction' on my windshield.

Needless to say the result was a much bigger obstruction, as my hand took a fruitless smack on my windshield I large spiderweb crack appeared on it.

Now I have a very large visual obstruction on my windshield.

I just sat there in shock at my windshield. I;m a college kid and my job is ending this week, how am I going to get the money to fix this.

I knew I couldn't leave it (partly because it's illegal to drive with a cracked windshield), and I had no idea how to get it replaced.

The truth is, it wasn't impossible to drive, but I have a long drive ahead of me at the end of this week, and I didn't want to take a long trip with this windshield.

So I proceded to my Aliyah meeting, with a feeling of dread and hopelessness in my stomach.

I decided to play a concert Naftali Abramson did at my yeshiva this past year. I hadn't listened to it yet and didn't know what the play list was going to be.

The first song he sang was 'Hodu LaHashem"-thank you G-d. The following song was 'Siman Tov'- a Good Sign. And the third song was 'Velyirushalayim' -To Jerusalem.

Thank G-d. This is a good sign. To Jerusalem.

This experience really helped put the situation into perspective. Here I was with a relatively minor issue. Minor as in 6 months from it will most likely not make a difference, and I was worried about my situation. G-d controls the world and maybe for that moment I felt that I did, but to put the whole thing in perspective, this whole process happened while I was going to a meeting about ISRAEL! It really helped me get that perspective, that this really was a rather irrelevant episode in my life. I'm going to get it fixed tomorrow (I will have to stretch, but I have faith that Hashem will provide) and by the time I get to wherever I'm going next week, I have a funny story to tell.

BTW the mosquito managed to escape out the window. I hope he bites an enemy of Israel.

No comments: