Wednesday, June 20, 2007

I Hope Jews in America Stay Comfortable For a Long Time

I had a thought regarding American Jews. This thought stemmed from another recent experience of someone telling me how much he loves America, and how he's waiting for Mashiach before he moves to Israel, blah, blah, blah.
At this point I really don't care.
I'm going and he can come visit me, and maybe even move there when he's ready, but I'm pretty worn out from talking to these people.
OK, tangent over, now for my thought. One of the things I love about Israel is, believe it or not, Americans, or specifically English speakers. I love finding one in almost any area you go, even the areas that are not big Anglo magnets.
So I have this thought that one day, 30 years from now, that I'll be one of those Americans, living on a little Yishuv, overlooking a beautiful mountain range, and being visited by 'Statesmen.'
I'd rather the case was that the only Americans visiting Israel were Christians, and that all of the worlds Jews already lived there, but I can't have everything I want.
So anyway it's a dream I have of being able to welcome people from a foreign land, visiting to what would be to them a foreign land, and be able to bring some kind of aid to a frantic situation.
Does this make any sense?
Bottom line is I have an addiction, but not the kind that that weakens over time of disuse, the kind that gets stronger as time passes.
It's been over 15 months since I last visited Israel, and I've wanted nothing more then to get back there as soon as possible. Unfortunately circumstances beyond my control have left me drifting in this spiritual wasteland of America.
Some of the Jews around me have this similar drive. Others don't, at least not yet. But as more American Jews make Aliyah, and the more Jews are swallowed in the vast wasteland that tells you to live for yourself and live for the moment, hopefully more Jews will come to their senses and my dream of having a welcome door for the wandering Jew will no longer be relevant.

No comments: