Thursday, June 19, 2008

My Apple Adventure

Well for all the Apple fanboys out there (that would include me) just want to tell a little story about my adventure with my Macbook Pro.
I got the machine at the end of January, and I must say that this machine is absolutely incredible. All of the headaches I used to have Windows...just gone. No more waiting for the computer to "decide" to start working, I actually have a computer that works on my time.
But that's not what I want to talk about.
Because for the past 2 weeks I havn't had the Mac.
It was the Motzei Shabbos before Shavous, and I went to boot up the computer and was greeted with the nomal Apple signon screen, and grey background with a 2 second introduction clip.
The Apple logo appeared and the little swirly thing that show that is' working (the same thing is on the Ipod in the upper left corner when it's being synced).
Then the thing stopped moving, and the computer appeared to freeze. Not something that happens often with Macs.
So I rebooted the machine and was greeted with stark, straight darkenss. Nothing on the screen, just...black.
So I called Apple Care (ALWAYS buy a servace plan when buying a computer!! That's the only piece of technology I recommend to do this for.) and we deduced that I had a faulty Logic Board, nothing that I did, it was just a faulty model of it so I had to take it to the Apple store to drop off so they could ship it off to, I later found out, Houston.
I had Shavous to work around and wasn't able to drop if off until last Thursday at the store.
I then waited patiently for 3 business days, following the statues of the repair on the Apple Repair website.
And finally got it back yesterday morning.
Now after I got it back I noticed that they had replaced my Logic Board and hard drive. And luckily for an Apple feature that has saved I know more that one person besides me. They have a backup program called Time Machine, and the way it works is that you set it up with an external hard drive, and not only will it completly back up the contents of your entire computer and continually backup aything new that happens in your system automatically, it will save things you've deleted, inculding say text of a document.
Let's say you're working on a project for school, and you realize that you had written something the previous week, that had been edited out. Deleted. Gone.
Activate Time Machine and "go back in time" and open up the document the way it was the week before.
So I plugged in my Time Machine hard drive and waited for it to load. And hour and a half later, the hard drive which had been completly empty when I recieved it, had exactly the same contents that I had had on my comouter before. I had to download a few updates and I was good to go.
The only snag that I ran into was Garageband and Windows on Parallels. I'm a musician and use GB to record all the time. I had to re-insall the program (took about 15 minutes) and I was good to go.
Windows wouldn't load in Parallels when I booted, but I just had to do some tweaking of the settings and I was back on there as well.

All I must say I was happy with the experience. Not that I was happy I had to send my computer in, but if I had been running a Windows Machine, I would have lost so much data and spent a long time re-installing programs, and customizing it to my specification again. Way to go Apple!
As someone told me "Hardware is cheap, data is priceless." And I was able to have the computer backed up to withing 24 hours of when it stopped working and didn't loose anything at all.

No comments: