Thursday, June 26, 2008

Update: Car Accident

So today I was out in Catonsville, MD selling some music equipment that I will most likely never use again, and to go to my college to pick up my transcripts.
I may have timed it wrong, and I didn't realize it until it was too late, but the time I was coming back was during rush hour. Lot's of Stop-and-Go traffic.
So there I was in the "Stop" portion of this highway traffic pattern, when a woman behind me, (who was not playing the right rules, forgot to "stop."
My car was forced 180 degrees and I was taking up 2 lanes in traffic, and it's an incredible miracle that I wasn't hit again by and on coming car in that lane (who would have hit me a lot harder than the woman behind me).
So after I checked my barrings, making sure that nothing was broken, and tested that car to see if it would still run, not knowing what condition the car was in, I managed to make my way to the shoulder of the highway.
Baruch Hashem no one was hurt. The driver of the other car was a pregnant woman with her two year old son in the back seat.
I got another dose of reminder of how G-d's hand plays in this world. The front of this woman's car was completely smashed in, with coolant leaking out from unerneath it, and the back of my car had, literally, a two inch long scratch.
We exchanged our information, and she insisted that I could leave, but I was not going to leave a pregnant woman with a two year old by herself on the side of the highway on a 95 degree day. Forger the legal aspects of it, it was just common curtisy. (Never mind the fact that she was being very emotional and I don't think would have been able to cope without someone there.)

So we got to talking, and I kind of had to laugh, because I'm moving to Israel in just over 3 weeks, and here I was on the side of 695 waiting out to see how this whole situation would turn out.

They had been planing to go to Laurel Farms, a farm in Pennsylvania where you can pick your own cherries. I kinda felt bad that I'd ruined their trip. But, as I had to remind myself, this is something that is completly out of our hands. She was frusterated about not being able to take her kid there, and (her being a Christian) I had to remind her of that.

So I'm actually waiting to hear baclk from the Rabbi about whether I have to say Birchas HaGomel or not, but I'm fine (I always wondered if and when my first accident would be) and still charging forward for that July 21st flight!

No comments: