Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Obama...

I;m actually going to go off topic from my normal rantings about things related to Israel.
It was announced that (unofficially) Barack Obama will be the Democratic Candidate in the Presidential Election.
Regardless of his politics, some of which I agree with, some I don't, just like McCain, I have to say that I am proud that a black man is running for president. Regardless of the individual candidate, I feel that America has finally reached a point where the numbers would even support a black president says a lot about how the country has changed.
I've recently become very interested in early American history, and looking back at the founding of the country and going all the way to the 1950's, America has been about freedom.
Who's freedom is another question.
Going back to the time when Black People were taken from Africa against their will to come to America to work as slaves, the American ideals have in reality only been fully available to the ruling elite and the wealthy.
The Black community has unfortunately never really graduated from this slave mentality, and this has been helped along by other people's animosity towards them.
Now however, there are enough people in America who have moved past those stereotypes enough so that they are willing to vote for a black candidate, and I have to so that I'm very proud.
This is not an endorsement of Obama in any way, this is just a post on the fact that America has moved past the negative stereotypes that have plauged it since its founding.
Now of course the question is, are people just going to replace their animosity towards Blacks to another group. Say...Jews.
But that's a topic for another post.

No comments: