Wednesday, May 16, 2007

It's not all bad. . . "The Sky is Burning"

I wrote this poem during one of the days my English teacher was trying to get us to be 'creative,' So I wrote a poem about terrorism in Israel and disguised it as an Iraq situation. The class loved it and I enjoyed it as well, but they didn't know what it really was. . .

The sky is burning
A fire lite by uninvited guests
Uninvited guests riding noisy machines
Birds, whose lives are under siege

The sky is burning in an orange haze
A suicide bomber has escaped his maze
Slipping past distracted eyes
He's gone to fulfill what he's been told, lies

The sky is burning and I don't know why
As fighters streak across the sky
To attack a vicious foe
But what do they really know?

The sky has cleared but what remains
Wanderers in the street are game
As a house turns to black
We know we won't be going back

An Eagle's flying in the sky
It's been put there because of a lie
I catch one of its tears in my hand
It's only trying to defend its land

Charred corpses litter the ground
Moving only by the sound
Of a sonic boom of a jet
flown by a soon to be vet

Threats of death at every turn
The sun's now up and it's starting to burn
Hope of a bright future that lay ahead
Now I'm afraid will soon be dead

Broken windows, roads, and sidewalks
Make this war too real
But I know someone, somewhere is sitting comfortably behind the wheel

Sending brainwashed youth to do the deed
A leader watching his TV laying in his bed
wondering what it would be like
To have his kin there instead

The sun is up now past noon
Blazing hot, and its only June
Looking for non-existent shade
Lack of water is starting to fade

The electricity and water are now back on
But who knows for how long
As explosions are going on outside
All I want to do is hide

The Eagle's crashed, I don't know where
But dusk is rapidly approaching out there
The beast that sleeps during
The day, comes out at night to play
A smart person would stay away
But as the moon starts to rise
A scream pierces the night
Silencing the former eagle of slight


The Israeli Eagle

No comments: