Monday, May 28, 2007

What if Israel was more comfotable?


I heard an interesting question today: If Israel was more comfortable, economically more stable and more prosperous, would more American Jews want to make aliyah more than they do now? This is coming off a rather daring move on my part to put an article by Riva Pomerantz in our shul's weekly newsletter. This of course brought the usual conversations from people on both sides of the arguments, with one person telling me that he absolutely will not make aliyah until Mashiach comes, to the father of a family that will be making aliyah in December, telling me how proud he and his wife are that these kinds of things are being put in our newsletter.
But would I have gotten the same answer from the first guy, if we lived in a less comfortable country than Israel? I mentioned the fact that I'm making aliyah to an older couple in the community and the wife asked me, "You think you'll be more comfortable there?"
No one (from America) moves to Israel because it's more comfortable. There are many obstacles that one must overcome to make a successful aliyah, from the bureaucratic nightmares, to ulpan, to adjusting to life without a dishwasher, Starbucks, or ziploc bags. I read an article by someone I know who made aliyah 2 years ago about their Lag B'Omer experience and how a neighbor, who had returned from the States 2 days before had treated everyone to 'real' American hot dogs.
I certainly am not moving to Israel for comfort reasons, I'm not moving to escape anything, and I'm not moving because it will be 'easier.' I'm moving because Israel, even with all of the challenges and problems that it has, is still my home as well as the home of the entire Jewish people, and I want to live in a country where my holidays are the national holiday, where I don't have to explain to my boss what a succah is and why I have to take off of work to sit in it, and I want my children to be the first generation of my family to speak Hebrew as a first language.
But most importantly, I want to be able to say that I've done my part to put an end to the image of the wandering Jew, and be able to say that I'm home. Finally.

No comments: