Saturday, July 21, 2007

Harry Potter and the Death of Shabbat

If any one hasn't seen it yet, it has been all over the news that "oh those darn religious Jews are at it again, preaching the stupid thing we like to call the Bible, and forcing it's insane laws on everyone else."
I am of course referring to Eli Yishai's warning to Jewish bookstore owners in Israel that they should not open their stores on Shabbos to sell the final Harry Potter book.

My thoughts are like this. I think that's its really sad. Not that they're desecrating Shabbos, but that they have to get their hands on the book as fast as possible, waiting a few more hours will not kill anybody.

We had the postman deliver our copy today (in fact we had two mail delivers, one of them by a mailperson only delivering Harry Potter books) and I politely asked her to put the books in out vestable as we don't open our mail on the Shabbat.

She said that she had had mixed reactions from different homes she dropped the books of at. At some houses the books were grabbed out of her hands and ripped open before she could turn around and leave. Other's, like we did, asked her to set t aside and that they would get it later. And the really interesting one, they asked her to open it for them.

I'm hoping that none of the "let's read it right now" people, were Jews.

I understand the Harry Potter mania, and I fell it is well placed. Why is everyone so crazy about Harry?

Because he's just a regular guy like you and me.

He has no special powers (I mean nothing special compared to what everyone around him can do).

He goes through the same growing pains that everyone has experienced.

And the best one, he WEARS GLASSES!

He's a guy we can relate to.

But, could we wait for a few more hours? I personally am not planning on starting the new book until after Tisha B'Av. These are dangerous times, particularly the next few days, I don't think I should be wrapped up in some fantasy world.

I also wish that people would learn Tanach with as much energy and enthusiasm as they read Harry Potter.

No comments: