Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Why are so many Jews coming to Israel before Mashiach comes?

Yay! We've reached post #50!

For some reason I had a strong sense of fear regarding the future of American Jewry. There's no particular reason for it, but when I think of American Jewry's future all I can think of is black, and Israel's future is in color. Strange I know, but here in Baltimore the color of choice is black. People just like to wear black here. In Israel you'll find Jews of any and all colors, from their socks to their skin.

Anyways, I'm sure I've written about this before, is the subject of Mashiach (may he come speedily in the next 24 hours). There's a lot of eventuality when he is referred to, both in America and I'm assuming Israel (the only difference in Israel is that the Jews are actually living there). You hear the phrase, "Mashiach, me he come speedily in our days." Or the most commonly refered to one, "L'shana Haba B'Yerushalayim-Next year in Jerusalem." A few guys from my yeshiva had a little shabbaton this past Shabbos, and we sang the song L'shana Haba B'Yerushalaim, but with the words "L'shana Haba," substituted for "Motzei Shabbat."

Mashiach could come right now, and when the most references are made to him, say to an audience at the end of a lecture, no one's thinking that. They're already onto the next thing in their life and don't give it a second thought, "Uh, OK, you mean like right now?"

The other thing that really pisses me off is when Mashiach is used as an excuse not to make Aliyah. I understand it you have financial issues, medical issues, family issues, community issues. But what is inexcusable is when someones only reason for staying in the Exile is that they're waiting for redemption. Look, I'm not G-d, but I have a feeling that when Mashiach comes the people who never tried to get to Israel are not going to be on the same boat as the people who live in, or were really trying to live in Israel.

Also that it's kind of a slap in the face to G-d. As Aaron Fox put it, "Move to Israel? Sure I'll move to Israel. But first, I want you to send a magic man who will come from the sky and bring peace and dominion to Israel and the whole world. Then I'll move to Israel. Otherwise how can I be sure that you're serious about your offer?"

That;s exactly what someone is saying when he used "waiting for Mashiach" before he makes Aliyah.

Why do people move to Israel? Either they are in touch with the Jewish part of themselves, and realize that they have to come home, or they are running away from something, and Israel is the only safe haven for them.

So when Mashiach comes, which one will it be. According to the OU poll that was taken a few months ago 19% of American Judaism want to stay in America after Mashiach comes.

In related news 2 planes from North America have touched down in Israel! 220 people according Arutz Sheva, have decided that they weren't going to wait for Mashiach and came home by choice. Mazel Tov! May the rest of the Jewish people come to their senses as well and return home!

No comments: