Friday, August 3, 2007

A Death and a Realization

One of my sister's best friends was killed this morning in a car accident. And the worst part is that she wasn't even in Baltimore when it happened. Apparently she was down in South Carolina visiting someone and she was a passenger in a car that was hit. I don't know the details, but apparently she was killed on impact.

So anyways, you can imagine it's been a bright cheery day at my house. I came back from Minyan this morning to find my sister's and mom crying.

I was in shock. My sister's friend was one of those "everything" kinds of girls who, literally, did everything, and well. And I guess G-d decided that she did enough and took her from this world.

So my parents went over to the grieving parents house and they've been there all day, my sister and I are preparing Shabbos. The fact of how fragile we are really hit me hard.

After a certain amount of craziness of running around all morning I stopped at the Bais Medrish to do the Daf and I wandered into the Kollel kitchen for a cup of coffee.

It was cold.

The damn cup of coffee was cold.

I started laughing (to myself) here we are, with a dead girl and I'm feeling bad about a cold cup of coffee? Ha'levie the worst thing that should happen to anyone should be having to drink a cold cup of coffee in the morning.

Just another realization that we only have one life to live and any second, even right now, G-d could decide that we, or someone we know, have fulfilled our purpose and take us back.

I've mentioned before that I do my shul newsletter. I post it online on Thursday nights, and then send an email out to notify everyone that it's been posted on the shul website. In my emails I include some words of Bracha for the upcoming week, usually something on the lines of there being Shalom in the world, and how this should be an uplifting, energizing Shabbos, stuff like that.

Anyways there's one guy who, for the past two weeks has emailed me about how much he hates the emails I send him. (I believe his exact words were, "What are you smoking.") So this week he said that if I don't stop including the "stuff" in the emails he was going to take himself off the list.
I then sent him an email telling him how to do just that (don't worry, my tone was very professional)
So we'll see, everyone else who gets these emails keep telling me how much they like them, I guess this guy just can't accept a Bracha.
He probably had no idea that right before I'd read his email I'd heard the news about my sister's friend (in all honesty I think the guys a loser. If he doesn't like them, he just shouldn't read the email, I email the same link to the newsletter every week, it doesn't change). For some reason this person seems so irrelevant now. We'll see about the future.

No comments: