Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Here We Go Again. . .On a Different Issue

Well year #2 of college has started (which will probably mean I won't be posting as much as have been, this will be post #30 for August). I was given a fresh reminder why I have to move to Israel, this reminder having to do with being surrounded by people who have absolutely nothing to look forward to except a 9-5 job (hopefully) and a house in the suburbs.

There are definetly advantages to being Jewish, the main reason is that you have a great outline about how you're supposed to live your life and what's moral, in a binding book, that will not change (3rd Edition) with the movements of the 'hip' society.

I have something to look forward to, namely being that I have 47 weeks left in this country. But it also brings the realization, why am I moving to Israel? I ask the people around me 'Why are you in college?" The reply would probably be, so they can get a job that pays lots of money (or if their really righteous, that they want to help people, or because their parents or society told them), so they can retire at the earliest possible age so they can relax.

So the reason that they are working their butts off now is so that they eventually don't have to.

Interesting.

Why am I moving to Israel? Because I want my life to have meaning besides a 9-5 job. I don't want to be judged by the cloths I wear or the car I drive or how big my house his. I want to be judged as me. Just me.

I was reading an article about Aliyah in which they interviewed a former Baltimorean, now living in Israel, and he said something I found very definitive about the mindset in Israel.

In America how are you defined? Usually by your profession, and that usually puts you into a certain category. A category that gives people an idea of your physical worth. Almost any conversation you get into will at some point hit "what do you do."
This former resident of Baltimore said that's not the case at all in Israel, conversations aren't defined by your profession or wealth, it's defined by you, and who you are as a person.'

I'll admit that I don't have a clear idea of what he's talking about, but I do know that when I went out to people's homes in Israel, very rarely did the conversation turn to "what do you do." When it did it was usually asked by me, thinking about my future and researching career fields in Israel. I have a feeling I'll be able to get more of a picture about this after I make Aliyah.

But the point is, I am not defined by anything physical. Not by my wealth, fame, or weight. I can be defined by who I am, which is partially defined about what I think. In America no ones cares what you think as long as you smile for the camera, while you hand him the check.

Anyways, a little rant for today, go ahead and leave comments!

No comments: